Saturday, February 15, 2014

Fruitful efforts

With increased activity and a healthy diet comes results. That's exactly what my husband is getting in just over a month of training and monitoring food intake. He looks healthier, and he's happier. Ultimately, that makes me happy.

The biggest thing I've learned over the last couple weeks is that we go through a lot of coffee, eggs, fruit and yogurt. As if we weren't regulars at the store already, I stop almost daily to replenish some items that were still well-stocked the day before. Example: Last night we had a conversation about the increased fruit consumption. Then I noticed that the two bunches of bananas I had grabbed over my lunch break the day before were completely gone, except for one lone nanner. WHAT? Going back through our food logs, I had indeed consumed some of the purchase. Two. I ate two. Devin downed the rest. I don't think we properly budgeted for this.

Apples and oranges are also regulars in the fruit bowl. I even bought some pears because they're my favorite. Wouldn't you know it: Those suckers have the highest calorie count out of the fruit we regularly purchase. Of course they do. Because I love them. Sigh.

Did you catch that? Yeah, I've been counting calories. Eww. But don't worry—it's only a temporary thing. Although I've been pretty conscious of staying under my daily budget most days, there's no way I could do this for life. I really don't like having to think about how many calories are in this many almonds or in that much soup before I eat. It's too restrictive. When I get into an exercise routine I can actually maintain and get to my goal weight (I'm already down more than five pounds—take that, holidays!), I will return to eating things because they're good and because I want to. So there.

My workouts have been a bit spotty this week, but this morning, while Devin was riding on the trainer next to me (yep, I got a witness!), I actually ran a whole mile and a half with no walking breaks in between. Ok, perhaps it was more of a jog because I can't maintain that distance at higher speeds yet. No! You know what? It was a RUN...even though I feel awkward while running. I've been saying for years that these long legs of mine aren't an asset of speed, so all you zombie apocalypse people, fear not—I will be the sacrifice while you get away safely. And that's ok because today I ran that 1.5.

Devin swam, rode the bike AND ran today. It's impressive really. He has to swim more than two miles in open water this summer, and his biggest improvement lately is in the pool, which is comforting for me because he's least experienced in that area. He's becoming a more efficient swimmer, covering more distance in less time and achieving good form. He's pretty much beaming with confidence, and that's awesome because we have a long way to go.

Over the last month, I’ve received a lot of mixed feelings over Devin’s undertaking. Some people are proud of him, knowing the commitment involved. Some are cheering me to help him keep focused. Some think he’s crazy—for changing his life, for even wanting to do something like this. Some think I’m crazy for trying to adopt his schedule—going to bed at 6 or 7 with him and then getting up two to three hours earlier than I was before—because I certainly didn’t sign up for this event.

No, I didn’t. I could just do my own thing and never worry about how he’s improving or struggling. I could go back to my lethargic and unhealthy ways. I could interact with him for only about two hours a day (optimistically), but what kind of a marriage is that?

It’s not even required of me, but if I was in my husband’s shoes, I couldn’t imagine going through this alone. I like to think having my support is a little extra encouragement when the workouts gain intensity or volume or if at any point the commitment becomes overwhelming.

I will get angry at times. I will regret not going out with a friend every time I’m asked. I will refuse to get up earlier than 6 a.m. some days. But I won’t leave his side. I have far too much respect and love for him.

Just as much as he needs to know I have his back, I need a support system too. I don’t know anyone who can relate to this specifically, but I'm certain that eventually I'll have a selfish, weak, this-is-so-unfair-to-me moment, and I'll need a friend. I hope someone can be there for me too.

2 comments:

  1. I applaud you for your efforts thus far. Lifestyle changes, sleep cycle changes, and dealing with minimal contact with your significant other can be very rough. I have some understanding of what you and your hubby are going through.

    When my wife and I were dating she worked night shifts and I worked days (for multiple years). Even now that we are both on days her schedule shifts to fit client needs and I do my best to get done what I need to do so when evening comes we have at least some time together (we try to workout together when we can as well).

    Something I've learned that you may find helpful. When scheduling or finding together time becomes overly frustrating plan something for yourself. For fun it can be called "Plan Me." For instance, I wanted to see the Super Bowl (we don't have cable so I had to go somewhere) and we weren't able to schedule something together. Instead of being and remaining frustrated I made a separate plan. Something I could enjoy. The Super Bowl plan cut into some of my sleep but doing so once in a while can be a good thing. Removing my frustration regarding the scheduling issue made the time we were able to spend together more enjoyable since I wasn't fuming (or other possible emotions) over the scheduling issue.

    Different work schedules may not be exactly the same as changing schedules for competing in an event but correlations can be made. My wife and I are here to support you and your husband any way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can relate to this. Thank you for your input, idea and support! I almost wish I could schedule a quick shopping trip or happy hour with friends WHILE he's doing a long workout on the weekends. Since everything is done before 7 a.m., that makes it impossible, unless Wal-mart has shopping-spree potential. I don't think I'm that desperate yet though, and I'd rather enjoy my coffee at home at that hour. But this is a nice idea that I can work on evolving for my own sanity. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete