Monday, February 3, 2014

Some steps in the right direction

This past week has been rough. I had a couple late nights, either trying to catch up on dishes and laundry or doing high school reunion planning, and I was completely unable to wake up in the morning. One of the days, I didn't even hear the 3 a.m. alarm. That never happens; I'm such a light sleeper. It was probably that same morning that Devin had gone to the gym to swim for an hour, had already returned and was in the middle of his hour-long run before I even woke up. Putz, one of our cats, turned on the faucet in the bathroom, and that was enough to break my slumber...at almost 6. Since my chance at treadmill time was limited, I succumbed to the much more appealing coffee maker instead.

Then after work, all I wanted to do was make my dinner and sit with the cats, but guilt got the best of me. I did some time on the treadmill each of those nights to make up for missing morning activity. I think I ran a whole mile during one of those sessions.

***

My work is promoting a new wellness project to start the year off right. Since it wasn't required for insurance purposes this year, I promptly deleted the email. A week later, a coworker stopped in the doorway, asking us if we were signing up for EveryMove, a social fitness tracker. The more people in the company who sign up, adds to the value of a gift that one lucky person will receive later--the largest being an Apple iPad. I thought, since I'm sort of doing stuff anyway, why not track it? Yeah, I gave in. Joining the challenge earned one entry, and active days recorded throughout the challenge earn additional entries. Out of the almost 200 people who have so far signed up, I'd say my chances at the big prize, whatever it will be, aren't great. So, EveryMove helps me work toward personal rewards also, like discounts on jewelry, sports gear or food. I chose wine. Imagine that.

The points I earn toward my wine are based on the activities I do throughout the day and their duration. I can also earn points for the number of steps I take throughout the day. One of the work perks for signing up was a hugely discounted Fitbit Zip, which tracks steps, mileage and calories burned.

Steps
Distance
It syncs with my phone or EveryMove easily, helping me earn active day points, some of which I can share with the coworkers I've friended. I guess it's a bit of encouragement to get extra activity in when I see one of my coworkers put in more time than I did. If only I get in 700 more steps... That only goes so far though, especially since I probably go to bed 3-4 hours before most of them. I am, however, usually the first one to post in the activity feed when I do my time in the 4 o'clock hour.


What do I like best about my Fitbit? Probably the smileys. They change throughout the day, getting happier with the more steps taken. It's the little things.


I can even sync EveryMove with apps like Strava, which I discovered I hadn't used since last June. Ouch. Like I need another illustration of my chronic inactivity. Devin and I have gone on walks the past couple days, and when it's chilly like it has been, we move rather briskly.

My Fitbit also reminds me of how little I move at work. Ever since we had a new system implemented late last year, I rarely leave my desk. Like, I have to make a huge effort to break 3,000 steps. It's unfortunate, really. So, most of my steps happen at home, either on the treadmill or just doing regular housework. I'll take it.


Oh, how I wish I could just let Devin take it along on his workouts. I'd be sipping that wine in no time...

Speaking of Devin, he's doing really well with his training lately, despite some back issues. He's in good hands though and taking steps toward repairing the problem. And I know the exercise is working because I can see it in his face. He's already dropped a healthy amount of weight, and definition is coming back to those cyclist's legs. Not quite sure that makes up for going to bed at 6:00 last night. I'm still disgruntled about that. No one wants that on a Saturday night. It didn't help me want to wake up any earlier either. Devin is still offering to help with the reprogramming. We'll see if I take him up on that. For now, I'll just be the one to brew an extra pot of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment