Sunday, May 18, 2014

It was great while it lasted

We took a bit of a timeout for a couple months. It was refreshing, yet probably a touch detrimental. Devin backed down his training and spent some time with me. We went out, got to enjoy evening Scotch and fire pit sessions with friends and neighbors, had movie nights and generally enjoyed being outdoors after a chilly winter.


It felt like I had my husband back, like things were the way they should be once again. Morning workouts had shifted to evening, but they were few. So, although I was having a great time, I was helping him revert back to our previous lifestyle, which isn't going to help him complete this goal he's been working so hard to achieve.

It's so hard to flip that switch, but we returned to structure--just a bit looser. One night we went to bed at 8, in the 7 o'clock hour the next, and he was able to readjust to getting up in the mornings for a swim or run so he could come home and get a decent bike ride in after work. He even rode his bike to and from work one day last week (almost a 70-mile round trip), something he hasn't done in quite some time.


It's now Sunday morning. After sending Devin off on an early ride before the wind picks up, I'm enjoying a great cup of coffee while listening to the birds and the neighbor's sprinklers. Ah, spring. Today is all about the distance. His planned route is over 100 miles, and that will help him plan for the big day--when that kind of ride will be followed by a full marathon. Sounds painful. I'm glad he has to do it, not me.

The break from structured training had an effect on me too: I had forgotten how quickly the closet clears out and much laundry builds up with this amount of exercise. Somehow the empty hangers were not a red flag. It doesn't help that the morning low temperatures have dropped back into the 30s lately. That requires extra layers during those early-morning rides. Hopefully that heavy hamper has cured me of letting too much pile up.

Speaking of that, as comfortable as this chair and a purring cat on my lap is, I better start another round of laundry and get to mowing the lawn so I can spend what's left of the weekend with Devin when he returns in a few hours. Can that serve as my workout for the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment