Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chlorine kisses

Lately I’ve been thinking about how exhausting Devin’s undertaking seemed back in January when the real training first began. There have been good days and bad, but we’re so close now. Writing about things sort of fell on the back burner once the weather got warm because our lawn requires a good cutting two to three times a week (talk about a workout) since it’s been raining almost every day lately, and we’ve just had a lot of activities going on in general. I drafted this blog post some time ago and, although it’s old, I just have to share it--maybe significant others of swimmers can relate to this.

***

As sweet as he is, Devin's not the type of guy to send me gifts at work. I'm not one of those girls who gets massive Valentine's Day bouquets or “surprises” on the Hallmark holidays when it's expected that significant others exchange gifts.

And that's ok because he delivers little treats all throughout the year. Like once he surprised me with tickets to Jeff Dunham just hours before the show. Or he made an amazing meal from scratch and paired it with an expensive bottle of wine (more than once, of course). Another time he gifted me a new camera lens and a wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano. So, not the typical "I love you" gifts, but he knows the way to this girl's heart.

What I'm saying is it's the little things that make a relationship awesome. And it's better that they happen when it's least expected or at any time other than when society dictates that it's proper to do so.

Those things didn’t happen much just a few months ago because our lives were pretty much exercise, eat, work, laundry, sleep. Things are much more normal lately, but as this event draws even closer, Devin will refocus on being race-ready. It makes me appreciate the time he is able to dedicate to me--and us--reminding me that he's the best husband and friend I could ask for.

Not always, but often I'm still in bed when Devin gets back from the gym after his swim. If I'm not already awake, having thrown every clothing item within reach and every pillow but my own at the Putz (our cat who believes it's a sin for me to still be in bed once she's awake), then Devin will wake me up with a good morning kiss and the lingering taste and scent of the pool.

I'm not weak in the knees over the exotic experience. I mean, it's chlorine. I get unhappy when I taste it in my drinking water. But in this case, it's a cute little surprise that I don't think about until it happens. Chlorine kisses are just cute.

They're even better when accompanied by a gift. One day, with one eye open, I saw the silhouette of a small object on my pillow. A rare early-morning swimming buddy found its way home with Devin--not exactly something you'd expect to find in the lap pool.


I thought it was fun nonetheless and displayed it on a side table in the living room. It has since vanished, likely hiding under the couch with cat toys, wine corks and all the other unknowns the cats are hoarding.

***

One night, having gone to bed within some unreasonable 6:00 hour, I was, as always, struggling to fall asleep. I welcomed Cheff, our other cat to cuddle and purr me to sleep. It didn't work. He got tired of my restlessness and sought a more peaceful place to lounge for the evening. I turned toward Devin, closed my eyes and inhaled deeply to hopefully coax my less-than-tired self into relaxation. Instead, my eyes popped open. *sniff sniff* I leaned in closer to Devin's shoulder. *sniff sniff* No way.

Are you kidding me? After a post-swim run, showering that morning and working all day, the man still lightly smelled of chlorine.

Please, hold yourselves back, ladies. Can you believe I have less than a month left to experience this eau de pool man-scent? Then it’s time for him to hit the open water!

Less than a month. Less than a month...

1 comment:

  1. Will you miss the scent? Have fun on your iron man and post iron man adventure.

    ReplyDelete