Saturday, July 12, 2014

Morning miles

Devin is someone you would call a dreamer. His wants, desires and to-dos are ever-evolving. His wishful hobbies? Endless. These dreams are often big too, hence the Ironman.

I, on the other hand, dream of taking Friday afternoon off work and desire a drink shortly thereafter. Ok, perhaps I have bigger ambitions--but none that can compare to my husband’s. Sadly, he had to help me WANT to dream bigger. I sold myself short a long time ago, content with complacency and my simple yet busy life. I lost the drive to do things I used to enjoy for fun because, as an adult, it seems I now have to make time for them. Some days that’s just too much work.

Devin has a long ride scheduled today. How long? Oh, something like nine hours. No big deal. I haven't decided what my mostly solo day will entail, but darn right it started with coffee. Maybe I'll actually purchase those succulents and cacti I've been eyeing to create a terrarium (that project is only three months overdue), or perhaps I'll start on one of a couple art projects I've been planning for...I don't want to admit how long. See, things get pushed to the back burner. Thanks, adulthood. In reality, I'll probably catch up on neglected laundry and deep clean a room or two in the house. And take a few breaks to watch some HGTV episodes. Ok, let's face it. Deep cleaning even one room is ambitious.

All the while, Devin is out riding with one of his coworker buddies who is also training for his first Ironman. Pretty cool setup, really. How many Ironman-in-training athletes can say they have a resource who is preparing for the same grueling life-goal? So they're going to get some miles in, push each other and gain strength during their training--all things I can't help with during this journey.

In the dating world, one of Devin’s hopes was to find a partner to work out with: someone who shared his athletic ambitions, someone who lived for cycling, someone who thought going for a long run justified an early weekend wake-up hour. He found none of that with me. What a shame, because now he’s stuck... I said, "I do," and he's wearing a ring. Sucker.

I'm not sure what qualities could have possibly made up for my lack of athleticism, but I'm glad he found something else to make up for it. Maybe through my stubborn, anti-running attitude he sees that I just need a little encouragement.


Running buddy in training. Not really.

So this spring, he helped me move my exercise efforts out of the basement and over to the trail around the lake. It's a little over a mile and a half around, over two if the start is in our neighborhood. The first time around involved a lot of walking breaks, especially before the two major inclines on the path. Devin was so patient and supportive. Not long after that, he decided to join me again for his own recovery jog. I had several moments where I wanted to quit running and just walk, but I didn't. I made it all the way around running and set a new personal best time.

My reward for being awesome? Beer and pizza, of course. 


Earned it!
What are leftovers?

No guilt here.

I've managed to make a few more complete rounds on my own since, including this morning. (It had been a while since I put the running shoes on; I only started up again on the treadmill this week.) I put on another pot of coffee and scooted out the door. The lap was painful, but I saw a wonderful message on the path just shy of halfway through, and it made me smile.


Message received.

One day soon, I hope to have enough endurance for a second lap.

Well, laundry calls. Have an amazing weekend, whatever your plans may be.

1 comment:

  1. Great story. Good luck with your own goals and keep at it.

    ReplyDelete